Wednesday, June 1, 2022


Floating peonies

 Momentary joy.

In the wake of the unfathomable sorrow pouring out of Uvalde, Texas, joy may seem an unlikely thing to write about.

Or maybe it’s an essential thing to write about.


Over and over in my life especially when carrying sorrow – I’ve learned that joy can be found in a moment … spotting a pair of blue jays flitting into our maple tree; listening to the rush of water in a woodsy creek; inhaling the scent of a caffe mocha; feeling the warmth of our cat settling into my lap; sharing those moments with someone I love.


Two Sundays back, my peonies out front were in astoundingly beautiful bloom. They literally stopped me in my tracks. By Monday, I saw they had already started to fade. After a wistful sigh I spotted them: fat, round peony buds, about to unfurl even more of those velvet, magenta petals.


In that moment, nature reminded me: Take in joy when you find it; understand that joy will fade; have faith it will come again.


The next day, sorrow came to Uvalde, and it can never truly leave.

But joy lives there, too.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Cathy. Thank you for the reminder to look for the joy amidst the sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote it to remind myself, too. Thank you for leaving me a note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy I love how you equate nature and joy at the end of your blog is so very true Joy does come and go but ever-present have a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete